Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:00:15 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: duplicate pages

--==_Exmh_1465783829P

If memory serves me right, "Dan Langille" wrote:
> FYI: the following URLs each appear to have the same content.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x4587.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x4749.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x4750.html
>
> Is this expected?

Hi Dan--

I'm going to guess that at least two of these files are from old
versions of the handbook (maybe the content is the same, but they were
generated a long time ago).  See here:

www:handbook% ls -ls x{4587,4749,4750}.html
 6 -r--r--r--  1 www  www  4638 Oct  4 05:37 x4587.html
 6 -r--r--r--  1 www  www  4638 Dec  8 18:06 x4749.html
 6 -r--r--r--  1 www  www  4638 Dec 11 09:27 x4750.html

The Web site rebuild doesn't remove old files, so over time, we grow an
accumulation of cruft.  Even though there are no pointers to the cruft
from anywhere on our own Web site, there could easily be pointers from
external sites (such as search engines).

I don't know what the best solution for this is.  It seems like we need
to do some housecleaning periodically, to get rid of files that truly
have obsolete content.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1465783829P

--==_Exmh_1465783829P--