Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:45:33 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: once last try

# jarnold@knightridder.com / 2002-12-23 09:05:13 -0500:
> ># bsdsys@yahoo.com / 2002-12-23 03:23:36 -0800:
> >> OK. I have tried unsuscribing to this mailing list and
> >> re-subscribing to it and then sending e-mails to it to
> >> test but my e-mails never make it. I know this e-mail
> >> will make it to the list but this account is not the
> >> one im having problems with. I'm having problems with
> >> my POP account. if someone could help me figure out
> >> what the problem is i would appreciate it. I dont get
> >> any error messages back either when i try to send
> > > e-mails to this list from my POP account.
>
> I have the same problem as you. I am no longer able to send questions
> in via my regular POP account. It suddenly stopped working a few
> months back as far as I can tell. Once I unsubscribed from the list I
> could THEN post a question.
>
> I use RoadRunner cable modem but use my work email address as the
> return email address.  Roman, are you saying that's why I cannot post
> to the list?

    because you use a RoadRunner cable modem or because you use your
    work address? neither is relevant. what is relevant is the MTA that
    talks to mx1.freebsd.org.the

    take a look at this (read bottom up):

            by jimarnold.org (Postfix) with ESMTP
            id C95AF369C; Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:06:37 -0500 (EST)

    you typed this message on a box with IP 192.168.0.4.

    that machine has no idea what its name might be, and so (properly)
    sent "[192.168.0.4]" as an argument to the EHLO/HELO command in SMTP
    conversation with 204.210.211.15 (who's internal IP is not recorded
    in the above headers).

    204.210.211.15 thinks its name is jimarnold.org (i don't think so.
    jimarnold.org resolves only to 216.201.16.227), and that's how it
    introduces itself in SMTP conversation with ohsmtp01.ogw.rr.com.
    this box knows jimarnold.org's real name is a11d015.neo.rr.com, but
    it doesn't mind this lie.

    ohsmtp01.ogw.rr.com knows it's real name, and that's what it uses in
    SMTP conversation with mx1.freebsd.org; that in turn sees the other
    side is honest, and has DNS ok both ways: ohsmtp01.ogw.rr.com is
    65.24.7.36, which is ohsmtp01.ogw.rr.com.

    voila, your message got through. should you bypass your provider's
    MTA your messges would get rejected; or, to be precise, your MTA
    would be rejected as mx1.freebsd.org would refuse to talk to it.

    reason? probably the larges source of spam is people with cable or
    xDSL connections. those computers most frequently don't fit the
    mx1's requirements regarding DNS (as opposed to ISP's servers, which
    do; if they don't, the ISP is clueless)

> I don't see how this helps fight spam if I can post to the list from
> an account that is no longer subscribed to the list.

    questions@ is advertised as a help forum (on CD's etc), and
    freebsd.org's postmasters probably think most of the people who
    seek FreeBSD-related help don't have the capacity to subscribe to a
    mailing list. :)

> Plus, I have to believe there are many, many people like me who use
> their work email addresses as their return email address from other
> ISP's

    MTA's couldn't care less about your messages' headers. all that
    counts is the IPs, DNS names, and SMTP envelopes.