Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2002 23:55:21 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        Kurt Bigler <kkb@breathhost.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: email addresses used for lists [was: L0phtcrack]

# swear@attbi.com / 2002-12-25 14:29:44 -0800:
> Kurt Bigler <kkb@breathhost.net> writes:
>
> > Well that's an interesting idea.  Throw-away subdomains (excuse my
> > terminology - maybe I'm supposed to call them host names?) imply a whole
> > "host" of email addresses without wasting a domain name.
>
> No excuse needed, if my reading is correct.  O'Reilly's "DNS and Bind"
> says "The hosts are there, but they're domains, too."  It says that a
> domain contains all the hosts within the domain.  (Leaf-node domains
> just contain one host and have no name server serving lower-level
> domains.)  Another book seems to agree (and notes that hosts may have
> domain name aliases too).
>
> Note that a domain named "freebsd.org" may contain a host named
> "freebsd.org" as well as lower-level domains like "xxx.freebsd.org".  And
> a domain named "xxx.freebsd.org" may contain a host named
> "xxx.freebsd.org" whether or not the domain has lower-level domains.
>

> Even if you don't accept the single-host domain idea, you can say that
> your "sub-domain" is just shorthand for "sub-domain name" which seems to
> be widely-acceptable shorthand for names within the domain tree all the
> way to the leaves, where, in this mind-set, there are no sub-domains.

    It's just semantics, really.

    Let's say you have a host with IP address 1.2.3.4, and a name
    "fubar.org" (A RR) that resolves to 1.2.3.4. Is "fubar.org" a domain
    or a hostname?

    Let's say you have names "fubar.org", "alpha.fubar.org", and
    "beta.fubar.org". There's no A RR for "fubar.org", but
    "alpha.fubar.org" resolves to 1.2.3.4, and "beta.fubar.org" resolves
    to 1.2.3.5. What is what here?

    Let's say you have names "fubar.org", "alpha.fubar.org", and
    "beta.fubar.org". All three names resolve to 1.2.3.4. What is what
    here?