Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:39:12 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More Portupgrade questions

On Thursday 26 December 2002 01:32 pm, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> When running "portsdb -uU" as recommended in the Portupgrade
> documentation I'm currently getting some errors, and not sure if I
> have to do something about them or what I should do.  Couldn't find
> any suggestions in the Portsdb manpage.

Until just recently "make index" was broken and the only choice was=20
using -uU. There was a ~2 day band where "make index" was really=20
broken.=20

For some time now, the only way to get a full list of ports is to do a=20
"make index" from /usr/ports. You make get a duplicate port message but=20
it works. The -U options fills screens with messages as it encounters=20
ports that it can't deal with.

Since I rebuild INDEX and INDEX.db everytime I cvsup ports-all, I added=20
ports/INDEX to my ports-all refuse file. This saves several minutes=20
using my local cvs-mirror. If you retransfer INDEX from an external=20
mirror, it has to be much longer.

Kent

> I recently removed all the Ruby stuff and portupgrade and upgraded to
> the latest version, but I got about the same errors with a version
> from July 02.
>
> Examples:
>
> "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.ruby.mk", line 135: "Ruby 1.7 is obsolete; set
> RUBY_VER to 1.8 instead."
> *** Error code 1: malformed entry: *** Error code 1
> 'all' not remade because of errors.:
>
> guile-gnome-0.20_5:"" non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
>
> l-1.1.3:/usr/ports/www/gtkhtml: malformed entry: l-
> 1.1.3:/usr/ports/www/gtkhtml: /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/
> .keep_me:/usr/ports/misc/gnomehier
>
> make_index: no entry for: /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/itk
> make_index: no entry for: /usr/local
>
> Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry: cvsup-without-gui-16.1f

--=20
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA