Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:26:31 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ep(4) does not support mediaopt full-duplex

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:52:35PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> : Is there a good reason for
> : not supporting full-duplex?
> I don't think 3c589 supports full duplex at the hardware level.

Well, if I boot both machines to Win9x, I can setup Intel card
to 10Mbps/full-duplex and I can setup my 3com card to 10Mbps/full-duplex too.
Its full name is 3Com EtherLink III LAN PC Card (3C589D).
I get over 500KBps transfer easily. I guess it's impossible with
duplex mismatch.

If I boot both machines to FreeBSD, I can setup fxp0
to 10Mbps/full-duplex but cannot setup ep0 to full-duplex.
Here I cannot get over 30Kbps. If I change fxp0 to half-duplex,
I get full speed.

So I conclude 3C589D does support full duplex at the hardware level.

Eugene Grosbein