Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 2003 17:25:49 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        Takahashi Yoshihiro <nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org>, re-builders@FreeBSD.ORG, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0-RC3

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 05:57:32PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Takahashi Yoshihiro wrote:
>
> Ok, I'm in a bit of a tight spot here.  Soeren never responded to my
> request for more information about his MFC, and I'm pretty sure
> that he's in bed now and won't be awake for another 4-5 hours.
> Waiting for him means that the builds won't start until very late
> tonight (here in the US), which risks that they won't actually get
> started until tomorrow.  Also, past FreeBSD releases have suffered
> from last-minute changes by Soeren, unfortunately.  I hate to hold
> up RC3 any more, but I also fear allowing him to MFC changes
> after RC3.
>
> Since some of his changes are probably critical, maybe we should
> hold up RC3 until Jan 10, 0001PST (7 hours from now).  That
> should give Soeren enough time to document his request, get it
> reviewed, and then check it in.

Let's start the release and have Takahashi-san apply Soren's
patch as an exception. That way it gets some testing and
should increase confidence for a post-RC3 merge.

BTW: could we have a policy on the release branch (or HEAD if
that's what we're releasing from) that commits are disallowed
at least 2 hours before the release starts. That way all
changes have been propagated without having to worry about
getting that last commit. Exceptions allowed of course.