Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 01:30:16 -0800
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Serious issues with kqueue on sockets on CURRENT.

First off, I'm very pissed off about this, but not going to bring out the
big stick of death, because, well, it can't matter enough if I'm the only
poor soul seeing this, despite how many hours I wasted thinking maybe it
was the fault of my code.

In 5.0-CURRENT, since last month or so, I've been having a number of issues
with a project of mine.  Said project is an IRC daemon.  As I myself am a
big fan of FreeBSD and OpenBSD and NetBSD, I chose to use kqueue.  I also
chose to use pthreads as an excuse to re-familiarise myself with them in the
hopes of being able to help out the KSE folks.  Happily, the feelings wrt
BSD are *very* good with the people I'm writing this for.  I've spent a lot
of time looking at issues in libc_r that this has raised, but I've had a lot
of trouble with sockets going dead, and since October, it simply Hasn't
Worked At All.  Until I bitched about this on IRC tonight, and found that
it works as good as it ever did on OpenBSD.  Our kqueue is broken.

Lately, the data field for sockets, which holds bytes ready (in the EVFILT_
READ case) to be read, is computed to be zero.  This means that if you have
a low watermark which is >0 per the kq, THE EVENT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.  Not to
mention that this means when the event IS triggered properly (if you can
call it that), it is always said to have =ZERO= bytes ready.

You can imagine why this is no fun, and why I'm unhappy to finally figure
out that, gee, the problem wasn't mine.

This is something which could really use the old behaviour before 5.0, and
which I'm sad to see nobody saw so far, or nobody thought was a problem.

PLZ FIX K THX LUV
juli.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>