Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:43:03 -0800
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: doc/ tree tagging

--==_Exmh_42253006P

If memory serves me right, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 09:35:52PM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> > This date may slip into the future, but will probably
> > not happen any earlier.
>
> Which is A Good Thing(TM), as it gives us translators a complete weekend
> for search and destroy missions.  Uh, I mean translations.

I wish I'd been thinking ahead on this a little more...I'd hoped to
give you folks more time (and more advance notice to everyone).

> > Sorry for the short notice and lack of details.  I'll pass on more
> > information as I get it.
>
> What's the word for the release notes?  If I understood the latest
> info correctly, the RELENG_5_0 branch of src (where the release
> notes are) is currently locked down for the RC3 build.  I am currently
> playing catch up for RELENG_4, RELENG_5_0 and -current and should
> be in a position to do the final MFBED for 5.0 by tonight CET.

Well, HEAD and RELENG_4 are unaffected by the current code freeze, but
you knew that already.

For RELENG_5_0, I think the en_US release notes are about as "done" as
they're going to get.  I'm awaiting feedback on one item (related to
lomac) but I may not get it in time.  There are (at least) two pending
items for the errata, but they might not go out with the release (but
they'll be in the on-line copies).  I'd say at this point that further
changes are unlikely, and "very unlikely" after the end of today
(California time).

For those of you who have blanket approvals for release notes
translations (de_DE and ja_JP), please go ahead and make your commits
when you're ready.  If there's anyone else (fr_FR?), they need to let me
know ASAP what their plans are, if any.

As soon as I know that the 5.0-RC3 snapshot builds have completed (today
or tomorrow), I'm going to do version number bumps for the release
documentation so we can see what the final versions look like.

Thanks!

Bruce.

PS.  Something I was thinking about last night:  There are a couple of
places in the docs and Web site that define a "current" release of
FreeBSD.  Technically, both 4.7 and 5.0 are "current" on their
respective branches.  We might want to think about how to handle this.

--==_Exmh_42253006P

--==_Exmh_42253006P--