Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:49:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD firewall for high profile hosts - waste of time ?

Thank you for that advice - it is very well taken.

Obviously, my goal is to mitigate as much as possible - I have accepted
that I cannot stop all DDoS - my question is, do serious people ever
attempt to do the mitigation/load shedding with a host-based firewall (in
this case fbsd+ipfw) ?  Or would all serious people interested in
mitigating attacks use an appliance, like a netscreen ?

I will say this - 9/10 attacks that hurt me do not do anything interesting
- in fact they are even low bandwidth (2-3 megabits/s) but they have a
packet/second rate that just eats up all my firewall cpu and no traffic
goes through - and as soon as the attack goes away the firewall is fine.

So, I am looking at putting in more sophisticated traffic shaping
(limiting packets/s from each IP I have) and skipto rules to make the
ruleset more efficient ... but this is going to be a lot of work, and I
want to know if it is all just a waste because no matter how good I get at
a freebsd firewall, a netscreen 10 will always be better ?

thanks.