Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 2003 09:15:37 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   redirections on Web site?

Folks,

I'm polishing up the press release for 5.0, and have hit a bit of a
snag.

The general consensus is that for information on getting FreeBSD, it
would be best to point at a link like

www.freebsd.org/vendors.html

For us, the correct link is
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors.html.

The link needs to be spelled out, as press releases are not hypertext.
(We present them in hypertext, but they won't be distributed in
hypertext.)  We can't possibly put that correct link in; it's just not
human-readable or human-memorable.

It occurs to me that the simplest way to do this is with a
redirect, which leads me to two questions:

a) Do we allow redirects on the Web site?

b) If we do, who knows how to do them?

Of course, this is somewhat time-critical... 5.0 is so close I can
feel the moisture of its breath on the back of my neck.

Any opinions?

==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org