Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:14:50 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD firewall for high profile hosts - waste of time ?

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

DP> There is sorting that you can do, like putting the highest-traffic rules
DP> near the top.  ipfw terminates the search on the first matching rule except
DP> for count and skipto.  Also, the fewer items that have to be checked the
DP> faster the rule is.  Perhaps there is some aggregation that can be done with
DP> the rules themselves?

By the way, is (moderately complex) aggregated rule faster than mix of simple
rules? (for now, we drop accounting issues)

So, will

permit tcp from {a.b.c.0/24 or e.f.g.0/20} to any 22,25,80,443 setup

perform measurably better than set of 8 corresponding rules?

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]