Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:11:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>
To:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cvs commit: src/sbin/disklabel disklabel.8 disklabel.c

phk         2003/01/26 03:11:19 PST

  Modified files:
    sbin/disklabel       disklabel.8 disklabel.c
  Log:
  Retire the "-N" and "-W" options which implemented write-protection
  for the disklabel:  This facility is OBE.

  First of all, we cannot sensibly implement this in a properly stacked
  environment.

  Second, if we did, it would confuse the heck out of users who
  wouldn't be able to "start from scratch" by dd(8)'ing /dev/zero
  onto /dev/da0.

  Third, the offered protection is not comprehensive: no other software
  would respect it.

  Fourth and finally, the disklabel is already protected against
  tampering if it controls open partitions.

  Uselessness of these options discussed with:    peter

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.44      +0 -24     src/sbin/disklabel/disklabel.8
  1.67      +3 -25     src/sbin/disklabel/disklabel.c