Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:52:49 +1100
From:      Mark.Andrews@isc.org
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7-R-p3: j.root-servers.net

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have installed 4.7-RELEASE-p3.
> > /etc/namedb/named.root has the following version
> > $FreeBSD: src/etc/namedb/named.root,v 1.9 1999/09/13 17:09:08 peter Exp $
> >
> > This has an obsolete j.root-servers.net.
> > I think I've executed mergemaster.
> > Are such changes not reflected when sticking with RELENG_4_7?
>
> Your final question was already answered. I think that given all the heat
> this subject has generated, a little light is in order.
>
> 1. The root zone had not changed for _years_ before this change.

	The root zone changes about every two weeks (or was that
	twice weekly?).  Anyway it is reasonably frequently but not
	daily.  By changes I mean changes other than serial number.
	The serial number changes twice daily.

	The root servers however have not changed in years prior to
	J changing address.

> 2. The old j.root will continue to answer for a long time.

	And it will be unusable for anything else for a long time after
	it stops answering which will be years down the track.

> 3. Your name server only needs ONE valid root server in the hints file
> when it starts, since updating its internal view of the root zone is one
> of the first things it does.
>
> 4. When your server does update its . zone, the NS records are cached
> for 6 days, and the A records are cached for 5w6d16h (almost 6 weeks).
>
> 5. When you boot BIND 8.3.[34], it tells you if your hints file is out of
> date once it's updated its cache.

	That reminds me I need to code the that check in BIND 9.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@isc.org