Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:17:19 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Alan.Robinson@fujitsu-siemens.com
Cc:        ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems installing on HP zx6000

Alan Robinson wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have just got a zx6000 with linux runing on it and would
> prefer to use FreeBSD. I downloaded two 5.0 ISO images and set up
> a serial console. The boot starts, the boot loader works OK, lsmod
> etc but as soon as the system jumps into the kernel the machine
> resets. I assume this is the same problem as the hp rx2600.
>
> I have a i386 machine with a cvsup mirror and have done test builds
> of buildworld and buildkernel with TARGET_ARCH=ia64 GENERIC but I
> have not actually done anything with what was built.
>
> Suggestions Please.

Unfortunately, the 5.0 release is missing quite a few bits that are fairly
essential for running on the HP boxes.  In particular, the vga and sio
drivers assume that the vga and serial ports behave like ISA devices still,
but on the HP boxes they do not - they are completely utterly legacy-free.

We do have an experimental development branch which has some pretty radical
divergance from the main FreeBSD source in this area, particularly on the
sio and vga/syscons drivers.  It does run on the HP boxes.  We use two HP
rx2600's as "reference" machines on the freebsd project cluster, but they
run the development build, not the released build.

Marcel muttered something about making an ISO from this alternative tree so
that it could boot on the HP boxes if there was demand...  It looks like there
is more already than I was expecting...

Meanwhile, you can get the source that we use on the HP boxes using a
special cvsup collection of "p4-cvs-ia64", which is *only* on
cvsup10.freebsd.org.  It will check out in a subdir of projects/ia64/*, so
put it somewhere out of the way and set up some symlinks or something.
You should be able to cross build that without too much drama.  You should
only need the kernel parts in order to get things to boot and install.

Cheers,
-Peter