Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:40:10 +0200
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   jdk 1.4.1 patchset2 is coming ...

Folks,

I am happy to (unofficially) announce of reaching patchset milestone for
jdk 1.4.1.  It contains most of patchset1 of jdk 1.4.0 with many updates
to 1.4.1, cleanups, optimizations and fixes many issues presented
in 1.4.0-p1.

Most noticeable ones are:

  . All my work was done on 4.7-STABLE (built early January) and only
    tested on 5.x.  It means that there're differences between functionality
    on FreeBSD-4 and FreeBSD-5.  Actually 5.x got very little testing and
    I'd like to have reports about any problems and functional differences
    between 5.x and 4.x.

  . Problems with fonts and some math calculations (in awt area) are
    fixed now.  It means that all problems with fonts under 4.x-STABLE
    are gone.

  . All Swing (JFC) demos are working prefectly.

  . Tomcat is basically working.  At least I was able to check all demos
    distributed with Tomcat 4.0.

  . We don't depend on sources tree anymore which allows to preserve API
    and ABI compatibility on libc_r.

Please don't assume it as absolutely working patchset, and I'd like to
get success/failure reports from parties interested in making jdk 1.4.1
finally working.

KEEP IN MIND: 1.4.1-p2 depends on version of pthread_attr_get_np() function
functionality which hit tree very recently.  You'll need to update your
libc_r with patch distributed along with 1.4.1-p2 before start to build
and use (or cvsup/update your system to 04-Feb-2003 state)

Greg will proceed with official release and announce very soon.

And last, biggest kudos are directed to FreeBSD Foundation which support
and sponsorship allowed to make it happen!

PS: I still have TODO list to clean up and work with HotSpot, but since now
I also will pay increased attention to classes/libraries functionality.  If
you have (will have) any problems or have suggestions in this area -- please
let me know.