Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:14:58 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Shaun Jurrens <shaun@shamz.net>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Project status (was Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object)

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > [long rant from Shaun Jurrens]
> This is all so wrong I don't even know where to begin refuting your
> statements.

Wrong or not, many of his statements seem to ring familiar.  I've
heard it before from lurking on the lists -- some people (not
all newbies) have misgivings on where the project is headed.

I think it would help if ordinary people like us understood what some
of the new-fangled features are really about.  It's clear that some
very senior developers don't fully understand, or have doubts about,
Geom and KSE(*) (to take two examples).  The "status reports" describe
them a bit, but not in nearly enough detail, I feel.

Some time Matt wrote a very detailed and educational article in
daemonnews about the VM, where even I felt I could understand what was
going on (an illusion, no doubt).  Interestingly, that article seems
to have grown out of a mail he wrote to the linux guys:

http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-mm/2000-05/msg00419.html

That mail is really worth reading too.  That is why I have so much
difficulty in believing that he is such a disagreeable person "behind
the scenes".

Anyway, I hope he'll still be present on the lists.  For the other
issues raised by Shaun, it may be all totally wrong, but it would be
nice if someone knowledgeable sat down and wrote a status document
(aimed at non-experts) on all the new stuff, perhaps for daemonnews.
Shaun's mail could even be a good starting point.

-- Rahul

(*)After writing that, I had another look at the project web pages
cited in the status report, http://www.freebsd.org/kse/ and
http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/Geom/ .  It's not actually so
uninformative as I thought, but it's still worth filling them out,
especially Geom.