Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 19:24:07 -0600
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   disabling sendmail in 5.0

I'm running 5.0-R, and can't seem to disable sendmail. I have

sendmail_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"

in my rc.conf, but when I boot, I get the error

Feb  6 19:16:31 Yggdrasil sm-msp-queue[415]: My unqualified host name
(Yggdrasil) unknown; sleeping for retry

(My /etc/hosts file has
127.0.0.1               localhost
127.0.0.1               Yggdrasil
which made my computer happy in 4-stable. I don't need a fully qualified
domain name, hence naming my computer just "Yggdrasil".)

/var/maillog is also full of messages about deferred emails. I don't need
sendmail at all for anything whatsoever - how do I make it die?

-David

--
"Whatever it is that the government does, sensible Americans
would prefer that the government does it to somebody else.

Astronomy and Astrophysics Center
The University of Chicago