Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:01:33 +0100 (MET)
From:      Marc Ernst Eddy van Woerkom <Marc.Vanwoerkom@FernUni-Hagen.de>
To:        marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de
Cc:        Marc.Vanwoerkom@FernUni-Hagen.de, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Eclipse under FreeBSD

>   I had started a native (motif) port a while ago. And there is a gtk port=20
>   (sorry, forgot the name)...

I have not spotted those in the ports tree.
Were they reported on this mailing list?

>   But, since I've switched to NetBSD (and all what's happening in the FreeBSD =
>   project (Dillon, Huey,..) lately makes me think it's the right decision), I =
>   stopped working on it.

I'm pretty agnostic about the BSD flavour.

The social factor is very important, you should stick with the guys you
can happily cooperate with.
I met Greg from core once he was in Cologne and he seemed a very experienced
guy with a down to earth attitude, thus in Matt's case I trust him.
The Huey affair I haven't even noticed yet. :)

But anyway, the long term target should be to get ports working for
as many BSDs as possible.

> I've you want to pick-up the ball I send all the =
>   stuff over to you. It still needs some work, but is working..

I would really be thankful for this.
I guess it would save me quite some trouble.

>   The biggest/only problem is that the eclipse guys don't supply a makefile,=20
>   so you have to set up the build infrastructure yourself.. Everything else=20
>   is straight forward, since most of the code is written in Java and SWT=20
>   itself is quite portable..

I have no good overview of the Eclipse development yet.
Guess I have to read to a lot of articles on the site to understand
what is going on.

My goals are:
1. get Eclipse running under FreeBSD
2. understand some of the plugins (like Java, C++, and that GEF stuff)
3. join development of the plugin for Erlang

Regards from Cologne,
Marc