Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 22:17:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New kernel allocation API

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> *snip*
>
> It seems that you've missed reading the original allocator or something,
> there's a cheap way to do this that doesn't require too much overhead.

It seems that you've missed reading my email.

"The old code used a large fixed size array that represented all of
kmem_map.  This no longer works because the allocator can return pages
that are outside of kmem map.  It does this on alpha, ia64, and sparc64 to
use direct mapped regions of address space for kernel memory."

> Yes there is a space tradeoff, but it avoids this pmap_kextract
> nonsense and multiple pointer dereferences.

It's not so much nonsense as it is a solution.

Jeff