Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 03:08:14 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>
Subject:   Re: IBM JDK status

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:25:43PM -0800, Milo Hyson wrote:
> What's the current status of the IBM JDK (either 1.3.1 or 1.4)? I know
> the System.exit() bug is the big holdup -- it's the only thing keeping
> me from using it. Is the issue a lack of available man-hours (I may be
> able to help), or is there some other business/political issue?

Its a time thing.  It may not even be a difficult problem to fix, it
just needs someone to sit down and spend some time on it.  Using ktrace
on FreeBSD and comparing it to the strace output on Linux may well be
enlightenment enough.

> I'd hate to have to add a Linux box to my all-FreeBSD network just to
> run Java (HotSpot on FreeBSD seems a bit unstable at the moment).
> However, considering the fact that a P5-200 with Linux runs Java over
> 16x faster than an Athlon 1 GHz with FreeBSD, I just may. Any help I can
> offer in this area I will provide gladly if it means keeping with FreeBSD.

Are you just using the JDK as is on FreeBSD?  If so I recommend trying it
with one of the available JITs (OpenJIT, shuJIT).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org