Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:20:42 -0500
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Maxtor Firewire Drives

Peter,

This thread should probably go off-list since it's no longer a FreeBSD STABLE topic.

> > At the rate ATA drives are going up in size and down in price, tape seems
> > to be less and less of a cost-effective solution, both for drives and
> > media.
> If you only want one or two copies of things and be pretty careful
> about moving those copies to an offsite location.
> Personally I like having a long run of archived backups (I have
> backups going back about 4 years at this point), doing that with disk
> is not really cost effective.

If you're backing up incrementally and your data doesn't change
substantially (eg. OS backup), then 120GB will keep you going for ages. My
60GB disk backs up my whole system - OS, apps and data (total ~15GB) -
with compressed level 0 dumps going back four months and is at only 55%.
I'm not suggesting one can generalise too far based on my system, but it's
a data point for a desktop/mail/web server[1].

The off-site issue is a tricky one with disks, but some DIY HSM can work
in suitable cases. Perhaps more practical and cost-effective in the
general case is to use the disk based storage instead of regular tape
backup, using tape only for long term off-site archives.

[1] http://halplant.com:88/systems.html

-Andrew-