Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:29:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      John McClure <chromodromic@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple Versions of Same Port

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm new to FreeBSD.

I want to maintain multiple copies of the apache
server, one running PHP, another running mod_perl,
perhaps another configured differently ...

If I use the ports system, how do I go about this? I
can use a different PREFIX for each different
installation, but will the ports system overwrite the
information each time under /var/db/pkg? If so, I'm
thinking this would break the pkg_delete functionality
at least.

I thought I might just cp the apache13 port, call if
something different, say apache13-2, and then do a
"make PREFIX=/usr/local/apache_whatever install". But
should I use the ports system for this? Under linux
I'd just do different compiles, which I could do here,
but I like the ease-of-upgrading provided by ports so
I'd like to use that if I could, as well as just gain
the general insight.

I tried searching the archives but couldn't find
anything helpful. Sorry if I missed something. Any
help here would be appreciated.

uname -a *****
FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #0: Wed Oct  9
15:08:34 GMT 2002
root@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
 i386

-GM