Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:44:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      IAccounts <iaccounts@northnetworks.ca>
To:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   4.3 -> RELENG_4

Unfortunatly, I have never successfully upgraded a Free box yet, mind you
I have only tried it on one.

Last year I was dropped into a production environment with all 4.3
machines. I have no devel equipment prior to 4.6. The upgrade attempts
were all only on one box (4.6) and failed due to suspect hardware.

My question is not howto upgrade, but;

1> Since I have only production equipment to 'test' an upgrade on, I am
very nervous. At what point of the upgrade procedure is it too late to
turn back if something does not go right.

2> I keep amanda tape backups of every file system on all machines. If
something goes critically wrong, can the system be rebooted at least to
the point where I can pull data back off tapes?

Tks for all help!

Steve Bertrand