Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:17:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
Cc:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Realtek

Thierry Herbelot writes:
| Le Friday 07 March 2003 18:16, Doug Ambrisko a ?crit :
| > everything at once.  This illustrated the HW issue with the new D-Link 4
| > port card since none of their "supported" drivers and OSes could get over
| > 20Mbs.  We had 100FDX links to each client and a Gig link to the server.
| > FreeBSD could peak to 40Mbs if I recall right and we were told FreeBSD
| > must be broken even though it was faster then their supported OSes
| > (Windows < 1Mbs)!  To be honest I did fix a bunch of bugs in the FreeBSD
| > driver.
| >
| [re-SNIP]
| >
| > Our bigger issue is bus performance on a 32bit/33Mhz bus with 3, 4-port
| > cards.
|
| and the avid reader asks : so, now, what NIC are you really using ? (I too
| have used with great pleasure quite a bunch of DLink-DFE-570), and I was
| leaning towards using the newer DFE-580 4-port on another project ...)

The DFE-580 is EOL.  That is their solution to their less then optimal
card with no replacement coming according to our rep.  We are using our
own custom board with the Realtek 8100L parts.

| any suggestions (with benchmark results ?) heartily welcome !

I need to find them however, you need to benchmark in your environment
since CPU load etc can effect things.

PHK found a 4 port fxp card that was priced pretty good.  I don't know
how successful he has with them.

Doug A.