Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2003 22:25:51 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   High wired page count

I just happened to have a close look at the memory usage figures on
various -STABLE machines and noticed that all of them are reporting
vm.stats.vm.v_wire_count roughly 1/3 of total RAM.  (My look was
triggered by the sound of my firewall paging when I sent a query to
its named).

Having 1/3 of memory wired strikes me as excessive - especially since
none of the machines were particularly busy or doing anything that
would be mlock()ing lots of memory.  It was also consistent on 4
different machines having between 20MB and 512MB RAM and running
versions between 4.5-STABLE and 4.7-STABLE, so it isn't an anomoly
on a single machine.  "vmstat -m" doesn't suggest anything (in fact
it only accounts for about 15% of the wires pages).

Can anyone explain why so much RAM is wired?

Peter