Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:44:25 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Realtek

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:20:36AM -0800, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
>Wes Peters writes:
>| Flood it with wire speed 64-byte packets and drive it into receive
>| interrupt livelock.  Yup, the PCI bus is (most of) the problem here too.
>
>Can't reproduce it.  Maybe they fixed it in the 8100L rev.?
>
>I tried a ping -f -s 22 to hit it with 64 byte packets.  I also had
>traffic going to the onboard gig and it wasn't impacted (granted the
>source was a 100bit link tied to the gig link).

Are you sure you were generating "wire speed" packets - this is about
200,000 packets/sec at Fast speed.  "ping -f" runs at whatever rate
the remote end returns the packets at (or 100pps) - since it (mostly)
waits for a response before sending another packet, you will never see
livelock.

In order to get 200,000 pps, you're going to need 5-10 hosts
generating traffic, each with a good NIC and connected to the test
system via a decent switch.  You also need a proper network
benchmarking tool - netperf (ports/netperf) or similar rather than
ping.

Peter