Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:41:13 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   weird power usage on dual Xeon

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

I recently got a dual Xeon from work that I'm using for testing and
since I'm paying for the power I hooked up my power meter up to it to
see how much power it consumed when.  The results were somewhat
suprising.  Is it expected that the Idle loop would consume more power
then a FPU intensive application like SETI@Home?  The only thing I can
think of is that the Idle loop stays in the cache and doesn't have the
kinds of stalls an appliction with 15MB of data to process does.

		no HTT	HTT
idle+hlt	94W	94W
idle		170W	183W
seti		160W	172W
seti+hlt	159W	171W

idle:	idle
htl:	sysctl machdep.cpu_idle_hlt=3D1
seti:	all CPUs (real or logical) running linux-setiathome-i686

-- Brooks

--=20

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z--