Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 00:47:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Protius <protius@teryx.bobdbob.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pilot error with vinum

I have made a really pathetic error with a vinum array, and I was hoping
someone could bail me out...

The array in question is 6 disks, running vinum raid-5, under FreeBSD
4.5-Release (it wasn't broke, I didn't want to touch it...).  It has
been running for nearly a year, with no hiccups.

Just recently, a disk failed.  I saw it in vinum's ls list, and attempted
to remove it, to attach a new one.  Unfortunately I missed, and removed
one of the functional subdisks.

With two subdisks missing, the array imediately Went Away.

I figured out what I had done, and havn't done anything more than run
various list commands, and a couple of attempts to start the failed
subdisk (but its obsolete anyway).  The disk I removed is still visible
on ld (as a disk, but 99% available), but its off the list of subdisks.

How can I put it back on the list of subdisks, reattach it to the plex
from which it came, and get my array back?

Is that the right procedure?

Or is it hopeless?

Thankyou for your time...

-Tommy               "Microsoft wants shareholders. Open source programmers
protius@bobdbob.com  "want the damn thing to work."  - Cliff Sarginson
KE4ILZ