Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:15:48 -0600
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <brandon@dvalentine.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doubg@freebsd.org
Subject:   generalized mergemaster(8)

I have encountered a situation in which it would be extremely handy to
have a generalized version of mergemaster(8) which is less specific to
the task of merging /etc.  I need to recursively merge two directories
of source files in which I wish to preserve some original files, install
some replacement files outright, and only actually go to the trouble of
sdiff(1)ing those files that from the preview udiff look like they are
need of a merge.  Has anyone already done the work of generalizing
mergemaster to this more general task?  And if not, is there interest in
this?  If nobody has done it I'm probably about to.  My inclination is
to extend the existing mergemaster script to support this general
functionality while maintaining support for the specific case of an /etc
merge.  mergemaster(8) is already fairly applicable to this task but it
currently makes some assumptions about what your $Id$ looks like and
that you will in fact be running make(1) somewhere to generate your
temproot.

Thoughts?

Brandon D. Valentine
--
brandon@dvalentine.com                                 http://www.geekpunk.net
Pseudo-Random Googlism:  valentine is her husband