Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:46:41 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ulink elements and URL duplication in the docs

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

If memory serves me right, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> The <ulink> element in SGML doesn't need to have any content apart
> from a URL=3D"" attribute.  There are currently many places where lines
> look awful because a long URL is include twice(!) in the running text
> of a document, i.e.
>=20
> 	<para>See <ulink
> 	  URL=3D"http://www.foobar.net/some/long/path/here/">http://www.foobar.n=
et/some/long/path/here/</ulink>
>=20
> This is equivalent to:
>=20
> 	<para>See <ulink
> 	  URL=3D"http://www.foobar.net/some/long/path/here/"></ulink>;
>=20
> which contains the URL only once, saving some (precious most of the
> time) horizontal space and reducing the potential for mistakes when
> someone edits the URL in one of those places and forgets the other, or
> makes a mistake while editing the same text twice.

IMHO, the second reason is more important than the first.

> There's a relatively large diff I tested a few moments ago through a
> full build of doc/ at:
>=20
> 	http://www.FreeBSD.org/~keramida/diff/_03.ulink.patch
>=20
> Do you all think it's ok to make the changes of that diff?

Hmmm.  I only perused the diff, but this looks pretty good to me.
Could you do a quick check to see if our print stylesheets generate
sane output as well?  (I think they do, but just to be sure...)

> If yes, is it ok to do it now, or should I just wait for a date after
> 4.8-RELEASE to avoid making large changes at this point in time?

I tagged the doc/ tree a couple days ago...I think at this point it'd
probably be better to wait.  It'll probably just be a few more days.

Thanks!

Bruce.

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO--