Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 2003 07:39:38 -0400
From:      "Kevin A. Pieckiel" <kpieckiel-freebsd-hackers@smartrafficenter.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: maxfiles, file table, descriptors, etc...

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 04:18:50PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> "Kevin A. Pieckiel" wrote:
> > First, do open sockets (inet or unix) or pipes (via pipe(2)) count
> > against kern.maxfiles, kern.maxfilesperproc, and other related limits?
>=20
> Yes.  And the limits are not runtime settable.
>=20
> > Second, are there sysctl variables that indicate the size or usage
> > of the file table?  Or is this simply indicated by maxfiles (and
> > perhaps others)?  Or is there a program that will report this info?
>=20
> The "lsof" program will report open files.  The "maxfiles" variable
> is a limit.  The limit is runtime for files, boot time for sockets.

Thank you, Terry, for your reply.

This is interesting.  This obviously shows my ignorance on how this is
handled in the kernel, but how is it that one (files) is set at runtime
while the other (sockets, pipes) is set at boot time only?  These
apparently don't use the same mechanism in the kernel to keep up with
file descriptors attached to a socket vs those attached to a file.
How does one tweak these boot time values?

-OR-

If this is documented somewhere (I wasn't able to find any docs on this),
I don't mind doing some reading to learn this (save for becoming intimate
with the kernel code that handles this stuf--that's a little much for
the time being).

Again, thank you.
Kevin

Those who are too smart to engage in
politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber.
-- Plato

---
This message was signed by GnuPG.  E-Mail kpieckiel-pgp@smartrafficenter.org
to receive my public key.  You may also get my key from pgpkeys.mit.edu;
my ID is 0xF1604E92 and will expire on 01 January 2004.

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM--