Date:      Thu, 15 May 2003 14:04:52 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Greg Lane <greg.lane@internode.on.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I mount a cdrom .bin file?

--Y1L3PTX8QE8cb2T+

On Thursday, 15 May 2003 at 12:39:54 +1000, Greg Lane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> See earlier in the thread for one method (which I have never
> personally tried) or do the following which I normally use:
>
> vnconfig /dev/vn0c /path/to/cd1.iso
> mount -t cd9660 /dev/vn0c /mnt
>
> To unmount:
>
> umount /mnt
> vnconfig -u /dev/vn0c
>
> Obviously the man page for vnconfig will be of interest to you!

vn goes away in release 5 of FreeBSD.  Use the md device instead.
Here's an extract from the fourth edition of "The Complete FreeBSD":

  Testing the CD-R
  ________________
 =20
  So now you have an ISO image.  How do you  know  it's  correct?   It's  j=
ust  a
  single  file,  and it could have just about anything on it.  You can burn=
 a CD,
  of course, but if it's junk, you have another coaster.   If  you're  not =
 sure,
  it's better to look inside first.  You can do that by using it as the bas=
is for
  an md vnode device.
 =20
  The md driver creates a number of different kinds of  pseudo-device.   Se=
e  the
  man  page md(4) for more details.  We use the vnode device, a special fil=
e that
  refers to file system files.  Support for md is included in the GENERIC k=
ernel,
  but  if  you've built a kernel without the md driver, you can load it as =
a kld.
  If you're not sure, try loading the kld anyway.  Then  you  associate  a =
 vnode
  device with the ISO image iso-image using the program mdconfig:
 =20
  # kldload md                            load the kld module if necessary
  kldload: can't load md: File exists     already loaded or in the kernel
  # mdconfig -a -t vnode -f iso-image     configure the device
  md0                                     this is the name assigned
  # mount -t cd9660 /dev/md0 /mnt         mount it
 =20
  After  this,  you  will  be  able  to access the image at /mnt as a norma=
l file
  system.  Don't forget to unmount and unconfigure the file when you're fin=
ished:
 =20
  # umount /mnt
  # mdconfig -d -u 0
 =20
  Older releases of FreeBSD used the vn driver, which used different syntax.

Greg

--Y1L3PTX8QE8cb2T+

--Y1L3PTX8QE8cb2T+--