Date:      Fri, 23 May 2003 20:40:30 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc bug? Openoffice port impossibel to compile on 4.8

On Thursday 22 May 2003 10:23 am, Julian Elischer wrote:
> I have rebuilt my system several times and rebuilt all ports..
> /usr/ports/editors/openoffice always ends up with:

GCC 3.2 is broken by design.  It insists, amongst other stupidities, on
type-checking arguments using old style declarations like:

	int foo(bar)
	char *bar;
	{}

rendering most UNIX software from before 1996 uncompilable.  This is
biting one of my ports, I can't figure out how to shut the fscking thing
up, and am pretty much beyond caring.  The Powers That Be in GCC-land
seem to have decided for us the world doesn't need any stinking
20-year-old software.

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes@softweyr.com