Date:      Thu, 29 May 2003 08:25:55 +0400
From:      Alexey Neyman <alex.neyman@auriga.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   should pw(8) accept spaces/tabs in passwords?

--Boundary-00=_TvY1+4XOm1FhhIJ

Hello,

I was just asked why the passwd(1) utility allows to set up a password
containing spaces and tabs, and the adduser(8) script does not: the password
is stripped of anything past a space or a tab. E.g., "my password" turns into
"my". It turned out that it's pw(8) utility that does such stripping; the
attached patch makes it behave consistently with passwd(1).

Regards,
Alexey.

P.S. Shouldn't passwd(1) be just a suid-wrapper for pw(8)? Are there any
security implications for this?

--
| A quoi ca sert d'etre sur la terre     | Alexey V. Neyman
| Si c'est pour faire nos vies a genoux! | mailto:alex.neyman@auriga.ru
`------------------( Les Rois du Monde )-'

--Boundary-00=_TvY1+4XOm1FhhIJ--