Date:      Fri, 30 May 2003 23:25:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      rick@kiwi-computer.com
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   guile-gobject problems

Hello.  Not too long ago I requested the addition the port for GNOME-2
bindings to GUILE, and rather quickly I saw guile-gobject-0.4.0 port
available.  I thank you again for this.

However I am having a problem getting it to work and was wondering if
anybody else has had any luck with it.  Likely the problem is with
gui-egobject and not with the port, but someone might be able to help
anyway :-P  I know the ports tree is frozen right now but if you happen
upon a patch to make this work, please send it my way.  If not, I guess I
will try to contact the authors.

If I try the following source code:

	(use-modules (gnome gobject))

I get the following error message:

ERROR: In procedure make-instance:
ERROR: Bad getter and setter for slot `gtype' in #<<gtype-class-meta>
<gtype-class> 808f4d0>: (#<procedure #f (x)> #<procedure #f (x o)> 27)
ABORT: (goops-error)

I have limited knowledge of GUILE and the goops system so it's rather
difficult to locate the problem.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong; there
doesn't seem to be any documentation on using guile-gobject, and it looks
like a GObject-specific problem (GType).  After hours of reading the code,
I can't seem to fix this.  My last resort is to use just plain GUILE and
manually bind Scheme functions to those referenced in C, without using
goops.  Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks again for all the GNOME & related ports to FreeBSD.  I'm exclusively
using FreeBSD/GNOME-2 for application development now,

-- Rick C. Petty        Senior Software Engineer, KIWI Computer
rick@kiwi-computer.com            http://www.kiwi-computer.com/