Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:18:52 -0400
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drawing graphics on terminal

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

In a message written on Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 03:10:24PM -0400, Eric Jacobs =
wrote:
> I don't think the advantage of a GUI-based installer would be
> "eye-candy". libdialog looks fine IMO. It would be to increase the
> ease of use, allow more flexibility in installations, and add more
> troubleshooting/diagnostic options (disabling/enabling/loading
> device drivers, etc.)

Some of this could be done in the current installer, if there wasn't
an effort to make it still fit on a floppy.  Mind you, I'd like to see
the floppy based install stick around for a while, but I think FreeBSD
needs to embrace the CD reality.

A problem, as I see it, is that the only bootable ISO is the full
FreeBSD CD.  For someone who wants to do a minimal net-install on
a CD only computer that's too much.  What I think needs to be done
is the current installer enhanced (a few more tools for the emergency
holographic shell, more help, etc), and produced in ISO form, eg a
3 to maybe 10 meg ISO image you could burn on CD and use like a
floppy is used today.

This frees up the size restrictions on the installer, and lets people
without a floppy install easily, all without making anyone download
a 600M file to do so.

--=20
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org