Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:24:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John DeStefano <deesto@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No network connection 5.1-RELEASE/Chaintech MB

I'm tri-booting 98/XP/BSD with a Chaintech Zenith 7NJS motherboard (btw: the GAG bootloader works great!). 98 and XP detect my on-board NIC without much effort, but FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE doesn't seem to like it. It keeps wanting to use my firewire card as a NIC. The BIOS has been updated to the latest version. 'dmesg' shows on entry for pci0 for a network device (among other devices) that comes up as 'no driver'.

The chipset is "NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400+ MCP-T", and Chaintech calls the NIC interface "On-board LAN controller: Fast Ethernet Controller with MII Interface; Support 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet with External PHY".

nVIDIA has a link to download a "Linux" driver for the entire chipset, but I'm not sure this would help, as the rest of the board seems to be supported by the OS, and, of course, because "BSD is not Linux".

The FBSD Handbook's "Supported Hardware" page does not list out specific motherboards, saying only that "Motherboards using the ISA, VLB, EISA, AGP, and PCI expansion busses are well-supported." It does list specific LAN interfaces that are supported, but I can't get the specifics on my on-board LAN interface from my motherboard packaging or manual, or the Chaintech website.

Thanks,
  John