Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:18:34 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@misty.eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New diablo caffe port/pkg problem

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 10:05:51AM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:
> I've run into two problems with the new JDK port/package.
>
> #1, Trying to use port:  I cvsup'd this morning and now
> have a /usr/ports/java/diablo-jdk13 port.  Typing...
>
>   # make
>
> tells me to fetch: diablo-caffe-1.3.1-0.tar.bz2
> Problem is, that site give me a file called: diablo-jdk-1.3.1.0.tgz
> A quick glance tells me there are not the same files.
> So the port mechanism is broken?

No, you fetched the wrong distribution for the port.  The port gives you
a specific URL to fetch from, please use that and you will get the correct
file.  What you got is a package, not the tarball the port uses.

> #2, Trying to use pkg_add:  So if the port is broken I
> download diablo-jdk-1.3.1.0.tgz and try a pkg_add on it.
> The pkg_installs but:
>
>   % /usr/local/diablo-jdk1.3.1/bin/java -version
>   java was not found in /usr/local/diablo-jdk1.3.1/bin/i386/native_threads/java

You have an environment variable set or have modified jvm.cfg to make
the JDK use native threads.  As you point out below, there are no native
threads included with this release.

The output you should receive looks like this:

> /usr/local/diablo-jdk1.3.1/bin/java -version
java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build diablo-1.3.1-0)
Classic VM (build diablo-1.3.1-0, green threads, nojit)

> Which is a true statement.  There is no i386/native_threads directory,
> but I have a green_threads directory.  Typing...
>
>   %  ./java -version
>   /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libhpi.so" not found

You can't run the executable directly without setting up library paths,
this is what the wrapper script does.

> So it would appear that I don't have a working binary package.
> Question:  what is the correct way to install the new port or package?

It sounds like you have got it installed correctly (the package anyway).
Please examine your settings and turn off whatever is forcing the use
of native threads.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org