Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:23:30 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Oliver Fuckner <oliver.fuckner@rebootking.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD on HP i2000 BigSur

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 05:19:17PM +0200, Oliver Fuckner wrote:

> Can anybody tell me how to create a GPT partition layout and an efi
> partition using sysinstall ?

sysinstall does not yet create GPT partitions. Partitions will be MBR
partitions. To create an EFI partition, create a partition of type 0xEF.

> Also unpacking the efipart.sys partition from CD did not seem to work.

efipart.sys is an image. You can mount it.

> I installed FreeBSD-CURRENT (iso image created on a i386/5-RELEASE-p10
> machine) yesterday by first installing Debian Linux. After installation
> I removed the linux partitions, kept the efi partition and the GPT
> layout and installed FreeBSD.
> Do you have to put a "bootable" flag on the efi- or the BSD-Partition ?

No. GPT does not have a "bootable" flag and EFI ignores the bootable flag
for MBR partitions, if it accepts the MBR partition in the first place
(which the BigSur does).

> Installing a new kernel (with SMP-support) also did not work, because
> the kernel in the efi-partition still was the old single-CPU-version.

Our kernel and modules are installed in the EFI partition. Since you
didn't create partitions with sysinstall (they were inherited), you're
missing the efi mount point and the link /boot -> /efi/boot. As such
you're not installing new kernels in the EFI partition.

Oh: do not enable SMP.

Note that most of the above is due to bugs or incompleteness. It
will eventually be resolved.