Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:20:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel panic on jailed sshd - 4.9-release

Kovács János <kovacs.janos@ofi.hu> wrote:
 > Just installed 4.9-RELEASE with jailed sshd over a null-mounted (bin,
 > dev,etc,usr)
 > dirs crashing.

It's well-known that NULLFS (as well as UNIONFS) are unstable
in FreeBSD 4.x and can cause crashes.  I'd recommend that you
use loopback NFS instead.  That's what I do for my jails (and
-o union instead of UNIONFS), and it's rock-stable.

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  Also see the "bugs" section in the mount_null(8) manpage.

"Being really good at C++ is like being really good
at using rocks to sharpen sticks."
        -- Thant Tessman