Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:45:43 +0100
From:      Alan Robinson <alan.robinson@fujitsu-siemens.com>
To:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   inter-kld module linking in ia64

Hi Folks,

Using FreeBSD 5.1 on a ia64 machine:

I have two kld driver modules (in different .ko files) one
(B.ko) of which depends, function call, on the other
(A.ko). When I kldload A.ko it loads as expected and
links correctly into the kernel. When I kldload B.ko
I get and error from kldload and the message

"kernel: link_elf: symbol A_status undefined"

I have EXPORT_SYMS=YES set in (both) driver Makefiles,
before the '.include <bsd.kmod.mk>'  and the nm output
looks OK to me.

$ nm A.ko | grep A_status
00000a60 T A_status

$ nm B.ko | grep A_status
         U A_status

Is this expected behaviour or is it a ia64'isim. Suggestions
and pointers to more information welcome.

Alan

PS The structure of the driver modules comes from
   Solaris where this sort of thing works.