Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:54:08 +0000
From:      Darrell Blake <darrell@dunmanifestin.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Radeon 9600 Problem

Hi,

I'm hoping someone on here can help me with this. I've been trying to get my
ATI Radeon 9600 card working for ages. At first I was trying to get it
working in Linux and, initially, I thought it was a problem with the kernel
so I thought I'd try FreeBSD instead and I've grown to really like it.
Anyway, I'm not interested in getting it to work in Linux anymore because I
intend to carry on using FreeBSD. It seems really weird. I've been using
Linux for five years and I think I like the idea of not being comfortable
with an OS for a change =o)

I get the same error message when I try to run X in Linux and FreeBSD. I've
configured the kernel to use the "radeon" driver but when I run "startx" I
get an error. /var/log/XFree86.0.log shows this...

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I can run X fine if I change the driver to "vesa" but I don't want to run in
vesa mode. I want to have accelerated graphics =o) Please help, I really
don't want to have to use Windows every time I want to see some accelerated
graphics.

Cheers,

Darrell