Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 2003 00:39:57 -0800
From:      Allan Bowhill <abowhill@blarg.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Allan Bowhill <abowhill@blarg.net>
Subject:   Re: Bug in ports howto question
References:  <20031027200046.33CF516A4DB@hub.freebsd.org> <20031027214510.GA52000@kosmos.mynet> <20031027223648.GC1004@zi025.glhnet.mhn.de> <20031028000708.GA52155@kosmos.mynet> <20031028004319.GF1004@zi025.glhnet.mhn.de> <20031125072702.GG340@freepuppy.bellavista.cz> <20031125064404.GA38625@kosmos.my.net> <20031125193010.GB67289@freepuppy.bellavista.cz> <20031125094426.GA39119@kosmos.my.net> <20031126103714.GT340@freepuppy.bellavista.cz>

On  0, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz> wrote:
:# abowhill@blarg.net / 2003-11-25 01:44:26 -0800:
:> On  0, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz> wrote:
:
:    strange date :)

Is that the time stamp from mail I'm sending out?
I must have something misconfigured in mutt.

:> Unfortunately, unlike other platforms, to send and receive mail on
:> FreeBSD, you need to a little about how mail works. I did not know a
:> lot in this area, before I started.
:
:    Unfortunately? I don't agree with your assessment of the fact, but
:    that's just me.

It's not unfortunate to know, it's just unfortunate to have to learn
under pressured circumstances. It would have been nice if it worked the
first time :)

:> After learning a bit, I am left with the impression that internet
:> mechanisms and standards that support mail are complicated and
:> somewhat badly-designed. Evolutionary. (too many specialized
:> protocols, headers, acronyms)
:>
:> Despite all this, the configuration task is not that bad if you have
:> good instructions, but in principle, is overkill for submitting
:> ports. It's a little like trying to do square-foot gardening with a
:> combine. But if you have the time and documentation, you can get it
:> to work properly.
:
:    Do you say port submission should be taken out using a separate
:    mechanism?

If you mean that ports should be accepted by some other mechanism?

Yes, definitely. I think there could be a mini-cvs utility, just with
a few features defined to allow new ports to be submitted to a different
repository, separate from ports (which is already . branch).

I also think it would be cool if there were a freebsd third-party
developer portal that kept this repository, accounts etc. like
SourceForge, but for ports. Maybe call it PortsForge :)

That way, maintainers and new contributors could keep an open source
base of stuff they committed to the portal, while committers could
peruse the portal for new software to carry-over to the ports collection.

:> :> This is a problem, becuase the PR was a new port. Now nobody will touch
:> :> the port becuase it looks too hard to deal with. So it will probably sit
:> :> in GNATS for 6 months, until someone takes it upon themselves to clean
:> :> it out. Then, I guess I can re-submit it.
:> :
:> :    Just mail gnats-submit@ (or whatever's the correct address) with
:> :    ports/#YOUR-PR-NR in subject and the correct patch attached.
:>
:> Yes. That's how I messed up the second submission out of three. Whatever
:> you do, don't send it as an attachment in outlook express :)
:
:    Whatever you do, avoid Outlook [Express].

Convenient and dangerous :)

--
Allan Bowhill
abowhill@blarg.net

To understand this important story, you have to understand how the
telephone company works.  Your telephone is connected to a local
computer, which is in turn connected to a regional computer, which is
in turn connected to a loudspeaker the size of a garbage truck on the
lawn of Edna A. Bargewater of Lawrence, Kan.

Whenever you talk on the phone, your local computer listens in.  If it
suspects you're going to discuss an intimate topic, it notifies the
computer above it, which listens in and decides whether to alert the
one above it, until finally, if you really humiliate yourself, maybe
break down in tears and tell your closest friend about a sordid
incident from your past involving a seedy motel, a neighbor's spouse,
an entire religious order, a garden hose and six quarts of tapioca
pudding, the top computer feeds your conversation into Edna's
loudspeaker, and she and her friends come out on the porch to listen
and drink gin and laugh themselves silly.
                -- Dave Barry, "Won't It Be Just Great Owning Our Own
                   Phones?"