Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:44:40 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        "Eric Greene" <EricDGreene@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configure nic card

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:20:03 -0500
"Eric Greene" <EricDGreene@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am a long-time Windows user, who is now getting started with
> learning FreeBSD.  I am using the KDE desktop to start with.  I would
> like to know how to configure my nic card so I can get connected to
> the internet (Cable access - the system is on a LAN).
>
> Where do I get started configuring this card?

1. Please wrap your messages at 72 chars

2.
man ifconfig
man rc.conf - for setting it permanent

For DHCP:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-dhcp.html

At leat you have to have something like this in your /etc/rc.conf :

defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
hostname="you_host.your_domain.tld"
ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.0.10  netmask 255.255.255.0"

Of course, you should replace the ip addresses with those given to you
by you ISP and your_host ... with your host name.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user