Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:35:40 +0100
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/security chapter.sgml

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 01:20:34PM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:

> >   - Use of &prompt.user; for %
> >   - Add a whitespace between prompt and command for consistency (this
> >     change could be done in a separate commit, but there the whitespace
> >     can be seen as content)
> >   - Use option tags for command line options instead of literal ones.
>
> Using option tags?  I've been using literal for awhile since another
> committer told me that they always use literal over option for
> flags.  Which one is preferred?
>
> FWIW, I think it was bmah who said that to me during my working
> of the cron(8) section, but please don't quote me on that.  :)

I see your point.  Most of time I use literal tags but according to the
FDP:

"Use <option> to mark up a command's options."

and the TDG tells us:

"option identifies an optional argument to a software command."

but I think our stylesheet renders option and literal in the same way.

I'd use literal when I don't find a specific tag.

Marc