Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:37:24 +0100
From:      Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Discussion on the future of floppies in 5.x and 6.x

> And, further, some of us don't have (and don't want) CD burners, and even
> if we had 'em, don't want to burn (no pun intended ;) a CD blank just to
> install an OS, when we can just (re-)use 2 floppies and do it across the
> LAN from a local FTP mirror, which is as fast as a CD drive anyway.

Sincerely FreeBSD developers have more important tasks than spending
hours to fit an installable system on floppies. When FreeBSD used
one floppy, it was tolerable to do floppy installs. With 2 or 3 floppies
it is awfully slow, i have done once and will never do it again.
There are so many workarounds for people who don't have a CD burner,
including asking a friend to burn the CD, buying a cheap CD somewhere.
For people who don't have a CD reader able to boot, the simplest
solution by far is to remove the hard drive and install it on another
machine, much faster than reading the 2 damned floppies :-)
The technically dedicated people can also arrange a PXE boot
which boots a live system, and then brutally install on hard disk
bypassing the installer which is far from nice anyways. There are
tons of ways of proceeding, including dd copying a series of identical
disks for people who have to do large installs.
By the way, what's the reason that it is impossible to have just one
floppy which boots FreeBSD kernel, allows to see an unbootable cdrom
and continue installation from here? During the holidays i have
installed the Linux Knoppix distro this way on an old machine which
doesn't allow to boot from CD. There is a 1.44M floppy image on the CD
which allows to do just that. I am quite stunned that the same thing
cannot be done for FreeBSD.

--

Michel TALON