Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:41:22 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sun jdk 1.4.2_02 and freebsd 5.2

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 01:34:42PM +0100, freeb <at> t1 <dot> unisoftbg <do=
t> com wrote:

> I try to check if it is possible to migrate from linux ( RedHat AS 3) to
> freebsd.
>=20
> I am using very intensive java (jboss + tomcat).
>=20
> I installed freebsd 5.2 and try to make some tests with java.
>=20
> I prefer the sun release because sun is the java founder, but if it is a
> problem I can change this one.

The consensus is that the native Java ports will give you the best
stability and performance.  The JDK-1.4.2 will do the best, but you're
going to have to manually get the sources from Sun, plus the required
bsd-patchfiles from eyesbeyond.com (Sun licensing restrictions mean
you can't download stuff automatically), then compile everything
yourself.  That takes quite a time and needs something like 1.7Gb free
disk space available.  It also requires a working copy of one of the
linux JDKs in order to bootstrap the build process.

An alternative is to install the Diablo JDK or JRE, which are
pre-compiled native code, but only Java 1.3.1 and they have to run in
FreeBSD 4.x compatability mode.
=20
> Ok, after install I just go to /usr/ports/linux-sun-jdk14 and readet the
> readme.
>=20
> I installed the java without any problem (reported error), but if I try
> to run java --version (just to be sure that it is the version), the jdk
> hangs. It still running as process (I see it with top).

I think you meant:

    % java -version

Kill the hung java process -- you'll probably need to 'kill -9' it.
Make sure you've got linprocfs mounted as instructed in
/usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk14/pkg-message, and try again.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way