Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:35:04 -0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sun jdk 1.4.2_02 and freebsd 5.2

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 07:29:38AM +0100, freeb <at> t1 <dot> unisoftbg <do=
t> com wrote:
=20
> Matthew Seaman wrote:

> > The consensus is that the native Java ports will give you the best
> > stability and performance.  The JDK-1.4.2 will do the best, but you're
> > going to have to manually get the sources from Sun, plus the required
> > bsd-patchfiles from eyesbeyond.com
>=20
> I do not found it on eyesbeyond.com. Where to search ?

The detailed instructions are in the java/jdk14 port Makefile:

    % make
    =3D=3D=3D>  jdk-1.4.2p6_1 :
     The source distribution exists on your system, but due to
     licensing restrictions you still need to download the
     patchset, bsd-jdk14-patches-6.tar.gz, from
     http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/jdk14.html.
     Please place the patchset in /usr/ports/distfiles.

(Similarly for the j2sdk source and bin zipfiles)
=20
> > (Sun licensing restrictions mean
> > you can't download stuff automatically), then compile everything
> > yourself.
>=20
> Any docs about this?

The Sun Community Source License will be presented to you at every
possible opportunity, for you to click on the "Yes I agree to these
terms" button.  As to why it's like this -- it's due to Sun's efforts
to keep Java pure and interoperable across all implementations and
machine architectures.  Thus you aren't allowed to redistribute the
sources you download from Sun, especially not with any modifications.
You aren't allowed to redistribute any compiled version of Java unless
it has passed Sun's stringent compliancy tests and been licensed by
them.  However, you are allowed to download sources from Sun and
patches from whoever will provide them in order to compile up your own
JVM for development or personal use, so long as you agree to abide by
the terms of the SCSL.
=20
	Cheers,

	Matthew