Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:44:38 +0000
From:      Lewis Thompson <purple@lewiz.net>
To:        Shawn Mitchell <shawnm@iodamedia.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache and home directories (file browser).

--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 02:05:44PM -0600, Shawn Mitchell wrote:
> Their going to be logging in via a web interface (via HTTPS).  From
> there they can upload files, delete, rename, etc, through their web
> browser.

Yes -- this is what I wanted :)

> Since all the files will have to be owned by the web services user
> (apache, wwwrun, nobody, whatever) so that the "legit" file management
> software can write/read/etc them, any software installed by Joe User,
> will have the same type of access.

This is also the worry I had.  I've currently got Apache setup with
safe_mode enabled (but only for public_html dirs because I control the
rest of the scripts).

> Basically what he's asking, is how do you chroot VHOST's in apache.
> So that one vhost, can not access another vhosts files.

I think this is what I'm looking for, yes.  Since I posted this I asked
some questions on IRC and somebody mentioned that Apache can be chrooted
to the uid of a script's owner (similar in a way to safe_mode in PHP).
This would surely then allow files to be read/written by Apache in a
secure fashion.

  My worry here is that Apache would have to be running as root to
chroot -- can anybody confirm this for me?  (Indeed, can anybody confirm
that it is even possible to do this?)

  Thanks very much,

-lewiz.

--=20
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple@lewiz.net | jabber:lewiz@jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-

--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD

--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD--