Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:58:47 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Jem Matzan <jem@thejemreport.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Performance comparison, ULE vs 4BSD and AMD64 vs i386

--4jXrM3lyYWu4nBt5

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 04:37:44PM -0500, Jem Matzan wrote:
> I thought that ULE was supposed to offer superior performance -- or at
> least, that's the word around the Internet -- but I have yet to discover
> that through my experience. Can anyone offer any possible explanation
> for ULE performing worse than 4BSD?

Have you contacted the author of ULE?  He is generally intrested in
reports to this effect and has been able to fix reproducable problems in
the past.

> How about AMD64 being slower than i386 on the same hardware? By
> slower, I mean a buildworld -j4 took about 400 seconds longer in AMD64
> mode.

You can't usefully compare compile times when you are compiling for
a different instructions set.  The work involved is rairly the same
so the results are meaning less.  If you could factor out the cost of
building the native bootstrap tools since that isn't the same job on
each machine, the speed of a cross buildworld would be an intresting
test.  For comparing i386 and amd64, I'd probably build an alpha or
sparc64 world so the target would be entierly different.

-- Brooks

--=20

--4jXrM3lyYWu4nBt5

--4jXrM3lyYWu4nBt5--